Bookmark and Share
Gardner's that are not able or interested in building greenhouse kits or buying new greenhouses opt to buy used greenhouses. Institutional, estate and hobby greenhouses are often resold in whole or in part after they are no longer being used as grow houses, often for pennies on the dollar.
Do you want to buy or sell a used greenhouse?
Why buy a used greenhouse instead of a new one.
Restoration and re-skinning of old greenhouses is often done to save money and or recycle quality used greenhouse frames. Before purchasing a used greenhouse take a few minutes and think about why you want to buy a greenhouse.
It is important to know the answer to all these questions because depending on what you want to grow, how much you want to grow and the seasons you want to use your greenhouse for greatly impacts the type of used greenhouse you should buy.
Top 5 Tips for buying used greenhouses
How to avoid spending more on a used greenhouse than it would cost to buy a new one.
1. Carefully examine the structure of the used greenhouse you are considering buying. The glass is important too- but not as important as the greenhouse frame.
2. If the windows are glass- are any broken? How much will it cost to have them fixed.
3. If the sides are plastic- is the plastic damaged? How much will it cost to replace the greenhouse plastic.
4. If your goal is to garden in "off" seasons- does the greenhouse have a heating system? Does the greenhouse heater work?
5. Do all of the louvers work to open and provide the greenhouse with ventilation?
Used greenhouse heating systems
Depending on how old the greenhouse it you are looking at, it may have an antiquated greenhouse heater. Most modern greenhouses have
solar powered heating and lighting or energy efficient greenhouse heaters. Go solar if you can. Solar powered systems will save you money
in the long run, however they can be quite pricy upfront.
How to find used greenhouses
Look for used greenhouses online, in newspapers, on flyers in garden centers. People sell their old greenhouses for lots of reasons, they are upgrading, moving and can't take it with them, they are not gardening anymore, it came with a house that someone purchased and they are not Gardner's. You may never know why they are selling the used greenhouse- use be cautions that you are not buying their problem.
Top 10 questions to answer before buying any greenhouse...Used or new
Before you buy a used or new greenhouse take a little time to answer the following questions (for yourself) to make an educated guess- I say guess since the hobby of gardening does change and so do our interests. Today you may be into growing fruits and vegetables and next year you interests may be in tropical plants.
1. How big of a greenhouse do you think you need? Depending on what you intend to grow- allow for at least 100 sf. for benches and walking space. Your available space for the greenhouse will also play into the size of the greenhouse.
2. What is your purpose for the greenhouse (at least today)?
3. What is your time commitment? Or how much time do you think you want to spend gardening. Depending on the greenhouse you choose and what you are growing it can be a commitment.
4. Are greenhouses allowed in your HOA? and or does you city have zoning or design ordinances that may impact your decision?
5. Do you need a building permit?
6. Will the greenhouse be considered a "property improvement" and raise your property tax rate?
7. Will you need to have electricity for heating and lighting installed? How much will the extra utilities raise your bill per month?
8. Will you need a special watering system installed (drip irrigation) or can you pull in a garden hose? Is there a garden hose faucet in the area of where you want the greenhouse? Can or do you want to collect rainwater?
9. Do you want to build the greenhouse yourself (kit or portable type) or do you want to hire a builder?
10. What is your budget? Be realistic and allow for unexpected expenses. Shelving, pots, dirt to level area, etc.
Buy used greenhouses online
If you want to buy a used greenhouse online there are usually some listed on Craigslist, EBay, Overstock.com, shopping.com and on our website below.
Have a used greenhouse you want to sell?
Email us the information about your used greenhouse and we will post it for free on our website. Include your contact information. People who want to buy used greenhouses will contact you directly. We do not sell or broker greenhouses.